Points of sales for vehicle tickets
- Tickets for cars and motorcycles can be purchased up to 6 months prior to departure at the following points of sale: online, at the ÖBB Ticket Shop, through the ÖBB Customer Service at +43 (0)5 1717, at the ÖBB ticket counters and from domestic as well as international travel agencies selling rail tickets.
- In Germany, you can purchase your vehicle ticket from the DB travel centres as well as from the ÖBB agencies and in Italy from the DB-ÖBB sales offices.
Please note: All passengers require an additional personal ticket to travel on the ÖBB Nightjet.
What you need for your booking
When booking the ticket for your vehicle, please provide the following information:
- Car brand
- Car model (type)
- Year of construction
- License plate number
- Dimensions, including all installed components (e.g. roof-mounted luggage or ski rack)
Attention: Cars, which are not included in our data base (e.g. oldtimer, trikes, ...) can be transported, but can´t be booked online. Please contact the ÖBB ticket counter or the ÖBB customer service +43 (0)5-1717 for the completion of your booking process.
Exchange, cancellation and reimbursement
A vehicle transport ticket exchange is treated as a cancellation combined with a new booking. Attention: for online tickets, neither exchanges nor refunds are possible. For all further tickets, the following provisions apply:
- Up to 15 days prior to the 1st day of validity: full reimbursement free of charge
- After this until 1 day prior to the first day of validity: Reimbursement of 50% of the fare (minimum of € 15.-)
- From the 1st day of validity: no reimbursement
Being a member of an Austrian or German automobile club entitles you to a discount on ÖBB Nightjet tickets. For more information, visit the respective partner website.
Place and time of loading for cars and motorcycles
Vehicles are generally loaded starting 1 to 2 hours prior to the departure of the train. Please follow the information on your ticket and be at the loading place when loading time begins.
When entering the facility, please present your vehicle ticket. The vehicle will be inspected briefly, and you will be asked to park in a waiting lane on the loading parking lot until you are ready to load your car or motorcycle.
Loading and transport
In general, only vehicles which are neither taller than 158 cm nor wider than 200 cm can be transported.
Should your car be taller than that, our sales staff will gladly inform you about possible exceptions.
You will load your car or motorcycle onto the transport wagon yourself. Our loading staff will ensure that your vehicle is secured properly. Please do not forget to retract or detach the radio antenna prior to loading and to disable your alarm system. After driving onto the transport wagon, please make sure that all windows are closed, that you have the vehicle in 1st gear and that the parking brake has been engaged. After this, please lock your car. Passengers and animals are not allowed to remain in the vehicle. For safety reasons, only closed ski carriers are allowed. Ski bags, on the other hand, are not permitted. Please note that these trains travel at speeds of up to 160 km/h. Motorcycles are transported on the transport wagon’s lower deck and may be up to 158 cm tall (incl. fairings). The regulations of the ÖBB Manual for Domestic and International Travels apply to the transport of motor vehicles.
Safety during transport
Should your vehicle, contrary to expectations, be damaged, please report this to our employees immediately after unloading. Your vehicle is insured for the entire duration of the transport!