You can generally buy Nightjet tickets up to 180 days prior to departure. Travel dates falling into the period of the annual timetable change in mid-December may be subject to shorter booking periods.
Low-price tickets for all passengers from 15 years of age.
The following cancellation terms apply:
- Up to 15 days prior to the 1st day of validity, tickets are reimbursed free of charge.
- After that and to the 1st day of validity, tickets can be reimbursed against a fee of 50% of the ticket price or a minimum of € 15.-.
- From the 1st day of validity onwards, tickets cannot be reimbursed or exchanged.
These cancellation terms apply to tickets purchased online if the booking has not yet been received as a PDF ticket. A PDF ticket can no longer be cancelled. Tickets picked up at the ticket machine or ticket counter can only be refunded at the ticket counter.*
Sparschiene tickets are in demand. Those who wish to travel at particularly low prices should keep in mind that Sparschiene tickets are limited and the price depends on the demand.
Sparschiene tickets cannot be exchanged/ cancelled/ refunded.
Your reserved seat in the travel category of your choice is already included in your ÖBB Nightjet ticket. It is therefore only valid for the respective booked train, the respective date and the selected route.
Changing categories on the train
In case you would like to change your travel category once the train has departed (e.g. from a seat to a bunk in the couchette coach), please contact our train team. Provided there are places available, you can change your category against paying a surcharge and travel in even more comfort.Book ticket
Discounted tickets for feeder and connecting trains
In combination with an ÖBB Nightjet ticket, tickets for the feeder / connecting trains to and from the ÖBB Nightjet are available for the following connections:
- valid on all Deutsche Bahn trains.
- Hanover - Amsterdam
- Düsseldorf - Arnhem/ Utrecht/ Amsterdam/ The Hague/ Rotterdam
- Liege/ Brussels - to all railway stations in Belgium
- Coblenz - Luxembourg
- Hamburg - Copenhagen
These tickets are available: online, via the ÖBB app, at any ÖBB ticket counter, at the ÖBB travel agency at the station and via ÖBB sales partners. When booking your ticket online or via ÖBB App, please enter your entire travel route in order to easily and directly receive the discounted tickets for your connecting route.
* The connection ticket is only available for trips immediately prior to or following trips with an ÖBB Nightjet (night train) in combination with a Comfort Ticket. It can be booked up to 180 day prior to the departure date. A discount of 50% is granted to children below the age of 15. No further discounts. Valid for first and second class. The ÖBB Personenverkehr AG's terms and conditions.
Customer cards from ÖBB
Travel from/ in/ through Austria or Germany and get a discount of up to 50% with your ÖBB Vorteilscard or when booking through your business account.
Holders of an ÖBB Österreichcard can also travel in the Nightjet day coach within Austria without an additional ticket. A place on the day coach, couchette or sleeper cabin can be booked at every ticket counter or through the ÖBB Customer Service at 0043 5-1717 against a fee.
Other customer cards
- Your SBB half-price subscription (SwissPass) entitles you to a discount for trips from or to Switzerland.
- Your Trenitalia Carta Verde or Carta Argento entitles you to a discount for trips from or to Italy.
- The DB BahnCard 25, 50 or 100 entitles you to a discount on Comfort‑Tickets (IRT) for overnight travels on the ÖBB Nightjet.
- Railplus does not entitle you to a discount on Comfort‑Tickets (IRT) on the ÖBB Nightjet.
Children up to 5 years of age travel for free when sharing a seat with an adult. In case they need their own bed, they can travel with the reduced Children’s Ticket (including seat reservation).
Reduced tickets on the ÖBB Nightjet are available for children from 6 to 14** years of age.
A private compartment in a seating carriage or a couchette car is particularly well-suited when travelling with children. Find out more
** extended to 15 years for tickets sold by SBB in Switzerland
Groups of 6 or more (each 15 years and older) receive discounted comfort tickets. These tickets are available at the ticket counter or through the ÖBB Customer Service at +43 5 1717.
Cars and motorcycles on the train
On certain connections, ÖBB Nightjets will also take along your vehicle.
Find out more
Interrail and Eurail
Holders of Interrail or Eurail tickets require a seat reservation in their desired category to travel on ÖBB Nightjet trains.
You can take your bicycle along with you on many ÖBB Nightjet trains. Bicycles require separate tickets and reservations.
Find out more
Transport of animals
For reasons of hygiene, your dog may only travel with you on the ÖBB Nightjet if you book an entire compartment.
Find out more